[Osmf-talk] design

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Tue Dec 20 00:04:31 UTC 2011

On 16.12.2011 20:41, SteveCoast wrote:
> We talked at the board meeting a fair amount about design and user engagement on osm.
[...]
let me give comment on the two sub-points mentioned on this email: logo
an web page.

Some general and basic words in advance:
we all know that OSM in a doacracy and things tend to end in endless
discussions. And the OSMF should maybe play a larger role in the
project. On the other hand the OSMF should reflect the community => so
nothing should be done "against" the community.

LOGO:
* We changed the logo some months ago. Even this really small change
caused some discomposure in the community: the change just happened and
was not preannounced. This is IMHO no good style and needs to be avoided
in future! So please discuss with the community before taking a
decission about a change!
* Please also consider people who put effort on merchandising on their
own risk => they may be using the present logo and have problems with
the change (who wants to buy old stuff)

WWW.OSM.ORG:
* IMHO: it was discussed (or should I say agreed) multiple times that
the web page needs an ovehaul. => should be fine.
* As some people say: OSM is just more than a map => the map should IMHO
not be that much in the foreground. It should IMHO just be linked (but
with a higly vissible link) from the front page and be available e.g.
under www.osm.org/map . Instead www.osm.org should provide information
on the project. The wiki provides some frustration for people who just
want to get some basic informations on the project: it is too complex
and too confusing.

Just my 2 cents,
Michael.