[Osmf-talk] site

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Dec 21 01:45:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> The problem with paying people to do the work that people don't want to do
> of course, is that the people you're paying probably won't be that thrilled
> by it either and are therefore not likely to do a good job.
>
> Now that may be fine for some tasks, where something is either done or it
> isn't, but for an intellectual activity like programming there are a wide
> range of values for "done" with results that vary greatly in their
> acceptability.
>
> What I am afraid of is a lowest price bidder turning up one day with a
> metric tonne of hastily knocked out code and the community expecting that to
> be something that can just be rolled out. Perhaps even more worrying is the
> amount of work I might have to do to make such code usable.

True accepting the lowest priced bidder would be a way to get more
junk.  Though I've found on the development teams I've been on that
the majority of the tasks there is someone where it is their passion.
For example the idea of optimizing some really low level code to make
it run %5 faster sounds terrible to me, but I've worked with people
who love it.

I'm not saying that paying people to do work wouldn't have its own set
of problems.  Deciding who is the most qualified and making sure they
do a good job is time consuming in itself.

Not that this is the best step in hiring someone, but you can always
fire them=).  Or at least have a contract with requirements of what
they deliver.  Perhaps the idea of writing this stuff sounds terrible
to you, but maybe it doesn't to someone else.

I'm not saying this is the answer right now I just think it is
something worth thinking through. To have more scalability of
development we would either need to recruit more developers or find a
way to make those already contributing code either more efficient or
have more time.

HOT has been doing this for the past 8 or 9 months, so it is something
we have been trying to think through the process of ourselves.

-Kate