[Osmf-talk] Fwd: Adding Makaney Code to OpenStreetMap for better Place Identification.

Gregory Marler sotm at livingwithdragons.com
Wed Dec 28 13:14:47 UTC 2011

I think this isn't a discussion for the foundation but would be better
on OSM-talk.

My concerns are:
     * The website doesn't have an obvious about page with information
like who is behind Makaney, who supports it, what's being done to
promote it, how can we get in touch. This makes it just as good as the
OSM short code, and I expect others have created similar codes that
didn't take off.
     * OpenStreetMap is a map data provider. Makaney is a location look
up service. It would be better too...
         ** Get Nominatim(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim)
to support look up of makaney codes, or
         ** Add Makaney codes to OSM data with a tag like
address:makaney but *only* where Makaney code is being actively used for
directions to that house/location.

If the website wants to work with OpenStreetMap, then why not use OSM
for it's own website. Unless they have a better relationship with Google.

I'm including the original contact so that they know what the initial
reaction is, but I suggest they join the OSM-talk
list(http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk) and send an e-mail
there to be included ijn a discussion about Makaney Codes & OpenStreetMap.

Gregory.