[Osmf-talk] AoA Discussion

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:36:47 UTC 2011

Hello Frederik,

I agree with your first point (see below).

Regarding your second point: Firstly I believe that board members
should be chosen based on their loyalty and good judgement. The "hard
work" should be delegated. Secondly, I believe prospective board
members should inform members about their employment contracts and /
or alliances and the concerns you raise, but then it should be up to
the members to decide.

My opinion is that the contributors are the cornerstone of
OpenStreetMap. Contributors give something very valuable*  and receive
very little in return. The least we can do is give them a voice in
OSMF. Then they will have a sense of ownership. They will contribute
more data and it will be of a higher quality.

In my model, non contributors can still participate e.g. by sponsoring
Sotm, hardware and / or code development. The board must be free to
delegate these negotiations and responsibilities as they see fit.

Who are the contributors ? In the narrowest sense, we could do
something like count nodes and ways contributed to the database. In
the broadest sense, it includes companies and governments who are
upstream sources (i.e. the US Federal government gave us TIGER and  MS
gave us aerial images).

Should all contributors automatically qualify for membership ? I don't
know if there is a legal requirement that all members should have paid
a membership contribution (under UK law). There may also be legal
problems with making the US Federal government a member. So one
solution will be to reward contributors with votes instead of
membership.

Should every contributor get a vote ? There are a lot of registered
users who are not editing enough to keep their local neighbourhood up
to date. Such users will also lack knowledge of tagging standards. So
it's only fair to exclude them from the voting using a simple formula.
The CTs and the Wikimedia voting system contain formulas that we can
adapt. (A minimum number of changesets during the last year(s)
touching a minimum number objects, possibly changing a minimum number
of tags. Add a clause or two to prevent sock puppets.)

Should some contributors get more than one vote ? I don't think so,
but it can be debated.

*: The transport cost to and from the area being surveyed and
equipment (GPSs) are quite significant. Add the income people forgo
when editing. These costs are vastly greater than any anticipated
"corporate membership" fees.