[Osmf-talk] AoA Discussion

Holger Schöner numenor at ancalime.de
Tue Jul 19 09:30:02 UTC 2011

Hi,

Having read and thought about the latest emails and opinions on these
topics, I shortly want to give my position (nothing really new, but maybe
helps in getting an estimate of the distribution of opinions among
members):
- commercial membership: best without any rights
- personal memberships: let everybody become a member easily, but give
board the possibility to conditionally/unconditionally and
temporarily/forever ban someone (with specifying the reasons)
- community vote: not necessary in general; give the board the possibility
to put some questions/votes to the "general public" (or active mappers,
like in the contributor terms, or ...) if that seems appropriate for some
topics concerning everyone involved in OSM
- board members: do not apply any special restrictions, but request
declarations as suggested by Frederik:

> * are they involved in any commercial organisation that deals with OSM,
> either as an employee or as an owner/stockholder;
> * what interests does the organisation have with regard to OSM;
> * can the applicant think of any potential conflict of interest, i.e.
> any decision that comes before the board where his corporate background
> might favour one decision over another;
> * will their contribution to OSMF be entirely their private business or
> is their employer likely to allow them to use paid work time, a company
> expense account, or other company resources to aid in OSMF work
> * can the applicant promise that they will do their OSMF job totally
> independent of any chain of command in the organisation

Regards,
Holger Schöner - numenor at ancalime.de