[Osmf-talk] Update of Articles of Association

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 01:12:03 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm Sam Klein, a Wikimedia board member and OSM supporter; first time
posting here.  :-)  Two comments:

Wikimedia organized our first real strategic planning session in '09,
and are now reviewing what the different roles across our movement are
(at a point where we have ~35 national/regional chapters and 10 board
members.)  You may find the following whitepaper relevant to some of
these questions:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_working_group/Learnings_from_peer_organizations/Models

Regarding Board observers, we are experimenting this year with having
2 board Visitors, who observe some of the board's work each year.
This was to encourage us to be more open to outside input, and to
allow outside orgs who were interested in how we worked to understand
better our governance.  Our first visitor is a representative from the
Sloan Foundation, who have supported us for 3+ years, and has both
seen many different sorts of boards, and is curious to know more about
our board's work.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Board_visitors

Cheers,
Sam.