[Osmf-talk] Chapters and OSMF (was Update of Articles of Association)

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Jul 21 08:47:38 UTC 2011

On 20 July 2011 22:31, James Livingston <doctau at mac.com> wrote:

> I think sorting out local chapters is very important too. Most associations
> I've been part of that are large enough to have chapters, have the central
> body being the "association of local clubs", and they don't take individuals
> as members. If OSMF wants both ordinary members and chapter members, then we
> need to think hard about how that actually works.
>
> You don't want to end up in the situation where people gain an advantage by
> leaving their local chapter to join OSMF directly (can they be members of
> both?) and you don't want people disadvantaged because they like in a remote
> area so won't have enough people to form a chapter.

I think that's right, and as I said in a previous email I believe the crux
is in deciding what the remit of the OSMF actually is, and if it is to
formally recognise chapters then likewise what their remit is.

What is the scope of their decisions, both by board and AGM/EGM resolutions?
Put another way, how much of the OSM infrastructure (hardware, services,
rules) do they control, what lies outside their governance, and do they both
overlap or clash?

If OSMF only governs a narrow set of core hardware, core services, the
license and the contributor terms, and chapters only govern their own
hardware and services, then I'm not sure there's a big problem with
individuals being members of both.

Regards,
Tom