[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 16:02:41 UTC 2011

On 11/12/2011 08:48 AM, Jonathan Bennett wrote:

> On this one specific issue, my opinion is that we've succeeded not when
> openstreetmap.org is used more than maps.google.com, but when
> maps.google.com uses OpenStreetMap data.

If maps.google.com uses OpenStreetMap, then OpenStreetMap is the most
used map in the world and the goal is achieved. Nowhere in the board's
statement does it say openstreetmap.org should be the most used it sais
OSM should be the most used map and that imho includes all of its uses,
be it for external offline devices, or in self rendered mapping portals
like mapquest or google or what ever other use cases people come up
with. On the other hand, if google and co don't pick up OpenStreetMap,
then perhaps going through openstreetmap.org is the best way to achieve
the goal.

So yes, imho, being the most used is definitely a worth while goal to
aim for.