[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 19:24:22 UTC 2011

>________________________________
>From: Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
>
>In my eyes, a good position for OSMF would be this: "We'll do everything we can to help the OSM community build the world's most used map." It is the individuals in the community who need to have the goals and work towards them. And if there is no community or if the existing community has different goals, then the proper position for OSMF is to shrug and say: "Alright then, maybe some other time." Support - not control.
>
>What I'm reading here sounds like "oh god oh god we need to become the world's most used map in 2012, and we'll all be so DISAPPOINTED if we don't make it, but oh god in South Bumfuck our acceptance rate is only 5%, so let's kickstart the community there and send in a team of ambassadors or else everything is ruined, we'll never make this goal..."
>
>It's just totally unnecessary to put yourself under such pressure.
>
>Ok, I think you're getting somewhere. It's about "what it sounds like", so let's work to make it sound more accurate and substantive.

Don't take my blog post as the final statement of the goals ... it was a really rough post, and not very thorough on anything. Minutes will be published, we'll discuss in the Management Team/Working Groups, and discuss here, and I'm sure we can all work together to get clear statements together.

Right now, the way you sound is really really sarcastic and cynical. You're taking everything I wrote in the most negative light possible. I understand you have concerns and do believe you have good intentions ... somewhere. Please try to channel that into communications that aren't designed to make blood boil. If you need to, take a walk outside or take a bath and relax, and then come back to the discussion with a little faith in your fellow mappers.

-Mikel