[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Derick Rethans osm at derickrethans.nl
Thu Sep 1 09:00:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Serge Wroclawski wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 02:17:57PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > "Let OSMF  be the simplest thing that could possibly work."
>
> I'm glad you're bringing this up, it's maybe the first time in this
> election people want to discuss differences in view.
>
> I like you, we've met several times and I think you're a good guy, and
> your view regarding the OSMF is very common, but saying "the simplest
> thing that could possibly work" is a bit of hyperbole. After all, whose
> to say what's too simple?

The people that are doing the work?

> My view is that OSMF should be doing more to help the community. There
> are differences in opinion on this matter. Some believe that OSMF should
> be doing as little as possible. But I don't agree with that sentiment. I
> think the OSMF is in a unique position to encourage mapping.

Yes, I am agreeing with this one. But not only about the mapping part
itself. I think OSMF can (through the mappers and people that actually
do it) also do more on the marketing part and getting out why OSM is
awesome.

> Major infrastructure changes I'd like to see (as a member of the board
> or not) would include have a more robust infrastructure with multiple
> sites, a reduction in the amount of work the sys-admins needs to by
> standardizing hardware, and more.

This surely should be something that comes out of the OWG itself. If
they find it useful or necessary, that's fine and OSMF should support
them. However, I don't think it's up to OSMF to suggest to implement a
new structure.

As for a vision, I think it's already there written out on our
frontpage:

"OpenStreetMap creates and provides free geographic data such as street
maps to anyone who wants them. The project was started because most maps
you think of as free actually have legal or technical restrictions on
their use, holding back people from using them in creative, productive,
or unexpected ways."

cheers,
Derick