[Osmf-talk] should OSMF AGM include time for discussion debate?

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 22:06:51 UTC 2011

Yeah, why not simply rent out our name to a professional conference organiser, let them handle everything from call for papers to ticket pricing and sponsors up to the auction at the end, and simply as for a cut of the revenue. I mean, that's what it's all about, right?

>Sarcasm aside, it is certainly not ridiculous to try and have a community conference for a community-driven project. The success that our project has cannot be substituted by cash or else Google would have done that long ago.
>True, FOSS4G started today, and the contrast in atmosphere is really noticeable. We gotta keep SOTM grassroots.

But perhaps there's a compromise, for the community to get a little support for what is a super intense thing to put together.Or for select help ... for instance, the SOTM scholars were booked travel through an agent, and bookkeeping is now outsourced.