[Osmf-talk] should OSMF AGM include time for discussion debate?

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Sep 12 23:32:19 UTC 2011

A friend of mine works as the only paid staffer in an all volunteer
organization - a music magazine, totally different kind of
organization but the idea is the same. Without her, the whole thing
would fall apart.
What I'm saying is: having a paid staff member can provide some
continuity and bearing. When you employ a paid staffer, you know that
at least one person can be relied upon to be on top of things. With an
all volunteer organization you by definition cannot.

Martijn

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Mikel Maron wrote:
>
> Or for select help ... for instance, the SOTM scholars were booked travel
> through an agent, and bookkeeping is now outsourced.
>
> Precisely. We buy hardware from a third party, we accept payments through a
> third party gateway (PayPal), we host SotM at a third-party location
> (instead of my back garden, or the Satanic portal in Steve's basement), and
> so on. Where it is more efficient for OSMF to pay someone to do non-core
> work, via a contractual relationship, we do so and we should continue to do
> so.
> That's not the same as saying that OSMF should right now have paid staff,
> which it is simply not a mature enough organisation to do.
>
> cheers
> Richard

martijn van exel
schaaltreinen.nl