[Osmf-talk] should OSMF AGM include time for discussion debate?

Serge Wroclawski serge at wroclawski.org
Tue Sep 13 09:37:58 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 09:17:04AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Even so, paid staff tends to shift the balance of power in an
> organisation.

Do you have examples of organizations which started out all volunteer and then moved to having some paid positions, and
they shifted power?

> Paid staff will normally lead to the board having a stronger management
> role (after all they're now responsible for someone's job), and at the
> same time there is a danger of the organisation becoming less focused.

Based on your statement of "normally", I'm going to assume then you must have several examples. Please share them.

> Because without paid staff OSMF can only do things that are important
> enough for a board member or a working group to tackle, or important
> enough to be outsourced for money - but once you have staff who need to
> be kept busy, you can dust off all those pet projects from the attic ;)
>
> Yes, you get more done, but maybe those projects where in the attic for
> a reason?

Some tasks aren't fun/interesting and require outside motivation to complee.

- Serge