[Osmf-talk] Election

Sam Larsen samlarsen1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 16:50:52 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I wanted to find out what people thought about accounting for different languages in the OSMF elections.
Firstly, I nominate myself for translation into Czech & Slovak next year (if
it's needed) - but my German is not yet at translator level :(
I saw there were three or four manifestos that were translated into German, French or Italian.  That's great, but most were not available in all of these languages.
I know it's a lot of work and nobody has any time, but it would be nice if we could get at least the manifestos and key voting instructions translated into German, French, Spanish & Italian [Russian, Japanese ?](add your language here ...).  I know, where do we draw the line?
As i would assume, these languages cover a great deal of our users and would help to make the votes more representative of the OSM/OSMF.
If manifestos are kept short (e.g. 250 words), we could hopefully get an [impartial] translator or two from each language.
Maybe the reason that the OSMF membership is so small compared to the community is because people can't participate if they don't speak english.  I suspect this is less so in Germany/Austria, but in other languages this may be true.
We could leverage a micro volunteering platform to help to get this done: http://www.sparked.com/ with some moderation by local linguists.
Manifestos would have to be finalised at a particular point to provide enough time for translation.

Is this done in other global collaborative projects?  If so, any tips / advice?
If this all seems like too much work for a relatively small OSMF i understand, but maybe that's why we are so small.

Communications WG?

Sam Larsen