[Osmf-talk] should OSMF AGM include time for discussion debate?

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sun Sep 18 15:34:50 UTC 2011

Sorry, it's me a while to catch up with my email with FOSS4G. The
music magazine my friend works for is basically managed by her. She
also contributes content (interviews, articles, reviews) but the paid
part of her work is the day to day management of operations, including
attracting advertisers, dealing with the external design bureau and
printer and distribution, as well as managing all the volunteer staff.
The editor in chief is not paid. I would say they manage having a paid
staffer who supports the organization in its operations while not
interfering with their mission quite well. That said, I know her to be
a very smart person with a great sensibility for ethics and
interpersonal relations. It all comes down to finding the right
person, someone who has a GTD mentality who at the same time is happy
to perform a supporting role in the organization.

Martijn

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:17 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Martijn,
>
> On 09/13/11 07:54, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>
>> That was the kind of position i was thinking about - not a management
>> position, more like a, let's say, administrative assistant.
>
> Even so, paid staff tends to shift the balance of power in an organisation.
> I would be interested in hearing how this works out for the music magazine
> you were talking about. How are they governed?
>
> Paid staff will normally lead to the board having a stronger management role
> (after all they're now responsible for someone's job), and at the same time
> there is a danger of the organisation becoming less focused. Because without
> paid staff OSMF can only do things that are important enough for a board
> member or a working group to tackle, or important enough to be outsourced
> for money - but once you have staff who need to be kept busy, you can dust
> off all those pet projects from the attic ;)
>
> Yes, you get more done, but maybe those projects where in the attic for a
> reason?
>
> Bye
> Frederik

martijn van exel