[Osmf-talk] OSMF membership applications rejected

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Aug 25 16:05:13 UTC 2012

On 25.08.2012 16:15, Henk Hoff wrote:
> Mike's application was a simple one. However, his application raised
> some issues based on his disruptive behavior in the recent past. Adding
> his refusal to comply with the Contributor Terms of the project, the
> Board concluded to not grant him membership.

Mike's behavior in the past was controversial for one fundamental
reason: Because he is an outspoken opponent of the current Board's
policy, and has repeatedly and loudly voiced this opinion. His decision
to not accept the Contributor Terms with his original account is one of
the, rather extreme, actions that he took based on that position.
However, disagreement with Board policy is not necessarily the same as
opposition to OSMF, or even OSM as a whole.

The decision to reject his membership application may justifiable based
on his conflict of interest as a supporter of a competing project.
However, I'm not aware that such a strict standard was applied to
membership applications in the past, and I must therefore assume that
his intention to be a candidate in the upcoming election has influenced
the decision.

This is troubling because it effectively limits the choices of voters to
candidates who are more or less in line with the current board's
opinions. This is not what the board's power to deny membership should
be used for!

I believe that it would have been wise to accept Mike's membership
application, and trust the OSMF members to use their votes responsibly.

Tobias