[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Aug 31 13:36:22 UTC 2012

Hi,

   it has come to my attention that the current board intends to
publicly announce the switch to ODbL at SOTM even though there are
still unsolved issues (missing changeover guidance for data consumers,
unclear DMCA takedown procedures, etc.). We at DWG have already been
told in no uncertain terms to "nuke" whatever problematic data remains
as quickly as possible ("and sort out problems later"), and I believe
folks at LWG are feeling a similar pressure.

This doesn't sound good to me.

If it is true that issues remain to be solved, solve them BEFORE you
throw the switch. After so many years, diligence in the license change
must not be dented for a cheap show effect, for a "nice
opportunity" or just to have something to announce.

Don't risk ruining it on the last metres. We are not doing the license
change for the glory of the OSMF board. Nobody gains from a license
change that looks nice in the press but is unfinished in practice.

Bye
Frederik