[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Aug 31 18:48:38 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    it has come to my attention that the current board intends to
> publicly announce the switch to ODbL at SOTM even though there are
> still unsolved issues (missing changeover guidance for data consumers,
> unclear DMCA takedown procedures, etc.).
[ ... ]
> Don't risk ruining it on the last metres. [ ... ]
> Nobody gains from a license
> change that looks nice in the press but is unfinished in practice.

I agree.

Both of the blockers above have owners and both are getting active
updates.  So it is possible that LWG and DWG would be happy to say
that they are ready to go as of $date.  But that leaves the problem of
how to have a graceful, informed transition for mappers, the wider
community and data consumers.  What does the change mean to your
survey practices?  How should consumers transition their services?
When do consumers change their attribution notices?  And when should
we expect them to have their issues sorted out?

We've all known that the transition day was coming.  We've all been
eagerly anticipating it for ages.  We've all been working on tasks to
improve OSM data.  Some day in the next week or two, probably, perhaps
three or four, we'll hear, "Okay the database is ready."  I hope that
those words will be immediately followed by, "and now we can begin the
countdown to the official publication of the first ODbL planet in 45
days[1], on $date+45".

It is really exciting to see the completion of the long running
license upgrade project.  I'm really looking forward to that first
ODbL planet, full history and minutely diff.  And "it can't come a
minute too soon."

I mean that both ways, of course.  "it can't come a minute too soon"
because I'm really looking forward to the arrival of the ODbL data.
And "it can't come a minute too soon" because to arrive before we're
really done is inappropriate.

Best regards and happy mapping,
Richard