[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Aug 31 19:44:21 UTC 2012

/storm/ & teacup

Sure, if we want to avoid any inkling of impropriety lets switch the day
before or after SOTM. In reality it is just coming together such that it
in all likelihood we will be able to switch rsn.

Am 31.08.2012 15:36, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> .................................We at DWG have already been
> told in no uncertain terms to "nuke" whatever problematic data remains
> as quickly as possible ("and sort out problems later"), and I believe
> folks at LWG are feeling a similar pressure.

I believe the correct quote is  "nuke the regions in question" (this
would have involved, among other things, deleting essentially all of
Germany  and I don't think anybody involved took this at face value, nor
do I assume the intention was that we should take this literally).

> This doesn't sound good to me.
>
> If it is true that issues remain to be solved, solve them BEFORE you
> throw the switch. After so many years, diligence in the license change
> must not be dented for a cheap show effect, for a "nice
> opportunity" or just to have something to announce.

Two weeks ago we had no idea if , for example, the UMP cleanup would
take a week, 10 weeks, or a year. As I wrote in the beginning, it just
happens that things are coming together nicely (at last!). Once Pauls
redactions have completed, I'm not aware of further immediate work
necessary within the realm of current LWG policies. The DCMA stuff is in
place,  I assume the CWG has stuff prepared. Since, as previously, our
data consumers will not automatically get updates or a ODBL planet
without deliberately switching, I don't see anything that isn't in line
with the OSM courant normale
</search?hl=de&sa=X&ei=DhNBUJKIOoXWtAa23oCgBw&ved=0CCAQvwUoAQ&q=courant+normale&spell=1>
(it is no secret that I'm not particularly happy with that, but that is
a different topic) .

Simon