[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Serge Wroclawski serge at wroclawski.org
Fri Aug 31 22:42:12 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:33:46AM +0200, Henk Hoff wrote:
> Strange to see this discussion popping up now. Like Simon mentioned, we are
> about ready to switch the license. The major issues have been resolved, a
> procedure to report new claims of license infringement is in place, etc.
>

> There will always be new issues popping up that could stop us from changing
> the license. "Look, we're not ready; everything is going to fail if we
> continue". Well, if you focus on the things that can go wrong it will be a
> self-fulfilling prophecy: it will fail. If we want to go forward we need to
> focus on our goals and try to work towards them.

Henk,

If you are saying that we are ready today, then we should switch today, not
tomorrow, and not the day after, but right now. But if we are not ready, we
should wait.

What people are objecting to, which you have not addressed, is the idea of
"flipping the switch" at State of the Map.

This would indicate that either the organization is either taking the action
prematurely, or else they have needlessly delayed the process in order to wait
for it to be a public spectacle. In either case, doing so would be disrespectful
to those of us who've been part of a long multi-year process that we've taken
very seriously.

In that spirit, we are asking the board to handle this situation with the gravity
and respect that it deserves and not create artificial dates in order to create a
spectacle.

The OSMF board operates by way of the trust of the project and its membership,
and many of us feel that if the license process is abused in order to make State
of the Map more exciting, then it will have failed to show the project the
respect that it deserves. I certainly feel that way.

- Serge