[Osmf-talk] Trademark Policy

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Dec 20 10:41:42 UTC 2012

All,

    one thing that the OSMF is likely to decide on in the coming year is
a policy that governs the use of our trademarks.[*]

A typical trademark policy looks like this:

"Use of our name/logo/... is permitted for the following cases: ... In
all other cases you require explicit permission from us."

and this will often be accompanied by an informal/unwritten custom about
when and under what conditions such an "explicit permission" will
usually be granted.

In a crowdsourced project like ours we have tons of individuals using
our name all the time, and in most cases we *want* (or even require)
them to use it. There have been a few isolated cases in the past where
we (politely) asked someone to rename his iPhone App because it sounded
too "official", or where asked someone to let us have a named page they
had created in the social media space, but neither the positive nor the
negative cases are nailed down in any kind of policy.

I would like to invite the readers of this list to discuss what uses of
our trademarks we should generally allow/encourage, and for what uses we
should require people to get explicit permission from us.

The OSGeo foundation, which is in a loosely comparable situation to us,
has the following trademark guidelines (and theirs is, in turn, a
shortened and modified version of the Mozilla Foundation's policy):

http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/legal/trademark_guidelines.html

Do you think something similar would work for us? Are there bits in
there where OSM should be stricter, or more liberal, about trademark use
than OSGeo?

Bye
Frederik

[*] Trademarks, here, means trademarks we already have or aspire to have
- basically, our name and logo.