[Osmf-talk] Future of DWG work, copyright, vandalism

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Jun 7 14:43:58 UTC 2012

I have more thoughts on this, but I'm heading to work so I'll limit them to
a couple of short points for now and expand when I have time.

> From: Martin Koppenhoefer [mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] Future of DWG work, copyright, vandalism
>
> > * legal measures - pay lawyers to go to court and request the real
> > address of the IP number that vandalizes our data, then send nasty
> > letters to people and demand money.
>

> -0.5
> this would also cause some collateral damage IMHO, e.g. the recording
> industry is not among the businesses with the best reputation. If we
> start putting cases on little kids we might exxagerate, while this is
> surely an option to pursue when it comes to competitors vandalizing the
> map.

I think as a last resort we have to be prepared to do this. It's messy,
uncertain and a pain, but the alternative can be blocking major multiple
major ISPs to block one person.

I don't think any of the vandalism cases that I've seen have been remotely
this bad, but it needs to be an option.

> > But I fear that the New Testament approach to vandalism ("If someone
> > vandalizes Oslo, let him vandalize London as well...") won't do
> > either. I would prefer that we make our minds up about all this
> > *before* we have to use it.
>

> We would have to change the CT in order to allow the comunity to ban
> convicted vandals for a limited time (say 3 or 6 months, 2 years, etc.).

I don't see why the CT would need to be changed for this - it doesn't
prohibit people being banned. Before implementing something like this,
there'd need to be extensive consultation and debate, but I can't see any
legal reason that would require the CTs be changed.