[Osmf-talk] Good Job!

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Mar 9 08:17:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

    I just wanted to say that I am positively surprised by the latest
post on blog.osmfoundation.org regarding Apple's use of our data.

Reading the echoes of this in the blogosphere, OSM(F) is almost
universally praised for its reaction. Communications professionals say
it was a masterful stroke to say "Welcome, Apple" instead of, e.g.,
"Thieving bastards steal OSM data". And even those who are not in the
business of manipulating opinion and who don't see a clever plan behind
every communication say that our reaction was cool.

I'm very happy that it has turned out this way, and I would hope that we
could aim for this kind of non-confrontational communication in the
future as well.

For a while - remembering the recent anti-Google outbursts - I had
feared that OSMF would perhaps go all confrontational and post something
indignant about "considering our legal options" and stuff.

Of course this doesn't mean that we should let anyone get away without
proper attribution but the post found just the right words to express
that in a non-threatening but still nagging way: "It’s also missing the
necessary credit to OpenStreetMap’s contributors; we look forward to
working with Apple to get that on there."

Clearly lessons have been learned here. Good job!

Bye
Frederik