[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Esri donation to OpenStreetMap Foundation

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Mar 21 10:06:04 UTC 2012

On 21 March 2012 08:54, Oliver Kühn <oliver.kuehn at skobbler.com> wrote:

> I fully support what Steve said here. If the community wants
> decentralisation they have to accept the trade-offs that go along with it.

Which is why many of us have argued for a democratically empowered and
accountable board, rather than this silly obsession with decentralisation.

I have no clue why the amount was left out but I can confirm that there are
> no "strings attached".

I have no reason to distrust you, Oliver, nor anyone else who seems to be
"in the know" on this matter. But it makes me very uncomfortable to rely on
trust without any transparency when it comes to these sorts of matters.

I don't think we stand to benefit from setting up any special inquisitions
into this decision, I'm happy to let it go in the absence of any sign of
change towards a better structured Foundation. But it reinforces for me the
importance of doing things properly even if that means we are a little less
fun and anarchic in the process, so I think it's worth bringing this point
up.

Regards,
Tom