[Osmf-talk] payment options for membership fees, donations and sponsorings in different currencies

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon May 14 13:58:45 UTC 2012

On 14/05/12 14:53, Steve Doerr wrote:

> Actually, UK banks increasingly are participating in SEPA. I plugged the
> OSMF SWIFT code BARCGB22XXX into the International Transfers dialogue of
> a Portuguese bank website that I use, and it came back as Bank
> Participating in SEPA: Yes.

Oh they participate, as I understand it they don't have a choice about
that. They will just charge hefty fees. People often misunderstand what
SEPA means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area#Misconceptions

Note that it's even worse than I though in my other email - it is only
cross border EUR-EUR transfers that have to be charged the same as local
EUR-EUR transfers. So as soon as currency conversion is involved all
bets are off.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)