[Osmf-talk] OSM : It's a shame !!!

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Mon May 28 20:30:06 UTC 2012

On 28-5-2012 21:42, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen wrote:

> After having been banned from OSM for not signing the CT, my
> contributions, that have been well received by the community in the
> past have been removed by the april 1^st license shift.
>
> The Foundation has called anyone in the community to reduce lost by
> remapping the concerned areas.
>
> However, it was not meant that the data were simply to be copied,
> deleted and re-pasted into the map using a fake account.
>
> This seems to be the case however, where my contributions were
> shamelessly copied and pasted back into the map.
>
> Of course I kept a dump from before april 1^st where my name is linked
> to a number of roads in a specific area showing I denied the CT.
>
> And if I download the same area in OSM of today I find that this area
> has NOT been changed for a fraction of an inch.
>
> The old and new area projected on different layers in JOSM fit exactly
> on each other, even at the highest magnification available (15 cm = 1
> inch on screen)
>
> The user involved is called “ It’s so funny” and I believe that fake
> account with obfuscated characters was not chosen for nothing, because
> it cannot be retrieved in OSM, at least not using JOSM “Show info” ,
> and osm.org does not provide a contact info (otherwise I would have
> contacted this user first).
>
> However, it means that the current copy of the OSM database is not
> ODBL compliant anymore because parts of it remain clearly CC-by-SA ,
> and these areas are plain copies of the work I carried out.
>
> This is sooo low….. OSM, how low can you get !
>
> Providing all the tools to check for ODBL compatibility and
>
> accepting copy and paste just like that by any stupid looser contributor.
>
> Why is there no tool for checking on copy paste copyright infringement…
>
> Because no-one meant to check on that ?
>
> user: cetest
>
> Gert Gremmen
>
> g.gremmen at cetest.nl
>
> www.cetest.nl
>
> Kiotoweg 363
>
> 3047 BG Rotterdam
>
> T 31(0)104152426
>
> F 31(0)104154953
>
> ***Before printing, think about the environment.*

Gert,

I've no reason to believe "It's so funny" is a fake account. He's
already been around for a while. When I first noticed him in the past,
the strange user name triggered me to look at his edits, but they appear
to be legit. The fact that the account can't be retrieved by JOSM could
be due to the apostrophe in the name, and not done on purpose. His user
page can be shown online:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/It%27s%20so%20funny

The only "change" that he might have done is merely touching the objects
for some reason. Keep in mind that the database cleanup hasn't finished
yet. This process is still ongoing! Like Richard, I'm also curious after
the map features with the alleged infringement. Are they still
highlighted in the License Change view in the OSM Inspector?
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=wtfe

Frank