[Osmf-talk] Proceedings from Face-to-Face Board Meeting

Serge Wroclawski swroclawski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:43:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>wrote:

> Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>
>> Based on these developments, it would seem that the OSMF is now in a
>> transitional period where it will phase out all non-covered
>> activity, including shutting down:
>>
>> 1. help.osm.org <http://help.osm.org>
>>
>> 2. The mailing lists
>> 3. The tile server
>>

> Sorry, I also meant to add "State of the Map".

> Why do you say that? All three clearly assist1] towards one of the
> objectives, "that humans add and curate data", and thereby help to achieve
> "the data being current".

Then perhaps the board can explain the why it felt the need to remove
language regarding education and advocacy, if both education and advocacy
can be rolled into "that help humans add and curate data"?

A mission statement is a major document. It's the changing of the
fundamentals of the organization. I would have thought that a change to
this would have come with some letter to the membership explaining the
change.

Right now all we have is the old and new documents, and the new one seems
to have a radically reduced scope, except by your reading.

In other words, can the board please explain its decision?

- Serge