[Osmf-talk] Anonymous notes on osm.org

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Wed Nov 14 09:37:38 UTC 2012

I may have missed this suggestion, but:

1) Anonymous bugs should obviously be allowed. We can't afford to lose
a contributor. Some people here forget that bugs get added not only in
cities where a mapper may sometime survey that information himself, but
also in a really sparse populated areas, like Siberia, where the choice
is either "receive information, though it may be bad" or "have an empty
spot for eternity".

2) But the absense of feedback is what gets every mapper. It's the
worst aspect of OSB. But since we can't make everyone to create an
account or fill all of the fields, I suggest to add optional email
field. Yes, I know there is an issue in Europe with storing such
information in database. But email is optional: if someone doesn't wish
to store it, he won't type it in. And it doesn't have to be displayed:
we just need a way to send a mail. For example, entering a email means a
user is subscribed to the comment feed for that bug.

3) I support Tobias' suggestion on non-blocking offer of account
creation. So there would be a choice of a) completely anonymous bug (we
don't have any reservations against removing bugs that can't be fixed,
do we?), b) anonymous bug with a subscription (mappers would see if a
reporter is subscriped), c) bugs from registered users.

IZ