[Osmf-talk] Encouraging the expansion of GeoDNS enabled tile serving?

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:28:28 UTC 2012

>The CDN is new - it has only really kicked off in the last few months.

Ah, ok, thanks. Somehow I was under the impression that it had been around
for longer.

> We are actively looking for new nodes, especially in certain areas such
as south east asia and north and south america.

That pretty much answers the original question then!

>It's not something to be done too lightly though - we don't want hundreds
of people offering to serve a few tiles from their >spare room or anything
like that. Rather we are looking for reliable well connected machines.

Of course. I was thinking about the sorts of organisations that provide
mirroring for Linux distributions and the like - ISPs, educational & large
organisations. All the sorts of groups I'm sure you've been thinking of.

> What sort of documentation? You seem to have already found most of the
relevant stuff.

Ok, I didn't know if there was any additional technical documentation or
any more usage stats available. Presumably the DNS bit is pretty
straightforward, and members of the CDN just mirror the original OSM
database.

I would be interested in how a user's tileserver is determined, however; if
I'm physically halfway between Sjöbo and Brisbane is my tileserver decided
by a calculated round-trip time to a server, or does it rely on a simple
rule such as "you're in India, so your tiles come from Sweeden"?

Thanks, Joseph