[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Mon Oct 1 09:52:19 UTC 2012

Apple's iOS6 Maps bad data has been linked to OSM on a couple of blogs
in France, and mainly in comments to articles and blog posts. The data
situation for France is: good road network, but very poor quality on
POI (very old data, bad location, etc).

We have been posting additional comments to explain that almost no OSM
data was used in France... so blaming OSM was inappropriate.

We've also seen a peek in contributions recently, maybe linked to some
major blogs talking about OSM linked to iOS6 Maps, positively (why
Apple did not use mode OSM data for its POI) or negatively by blaming
OSM.

There's also a confusion in a lot of people's mind after the
iPhoto/OSM previous story. On the openstreetmap.fr contact form, I got
questions and requests from major hotel and touristic places on how to
be in "OSM/iPhone maps".

A famous french advertiser expert said "talking about you positively
or negatively always gives you more visibility... which at the end is
good"... that's what is happening.

It's up to us to clarify the negative feedback to make it positive.

--
Christian