[Osmf-talk] Board Cohesion/Confidentiality

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Fri Oct 5 13:55:39 UTC 2012

Hi

The membership has voted in member(s) to the board who don't think the board should exist, or at the least do anything at all.

That at minimum makes the job of all the other board members very difficult.

What you're seeing is only one symptom but there are others. As you allude to, if BigCorp now wants to bring something confidential to the board like "Hey Founder Steve, we'd like to bounce the idea of us doing X with OSM off the board but we don't want it leaked to our competition as it's just an idea" then, as an example, it is now very difficult for me to do so since some board member(s) don't believe confidentiality should exist and might make a public blog post about it. Since I don't want to damage my reputation, it is now hard for me to pass things on to the board.

Since the membership voted in member(s) with this point of view I think the board has to work with it, but I honestly don't think much will be achieved.

Steve