[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Sep 25 07:03:06 UTC 2012

Richard, sounds like a great idea. +1

I couple of further thoughts:

- I don't see any large overlap with the CWG, except that some messages
may need coordination

- at least for some languages there are already customized confirmation
e-mails that can be used to point new users to the right resources (the
German one does a reasonable job of this)

- using e-mail has the big disadvantage that we won't reach the
tech-savy mappers that used throwaway e-mail addresses to sign up (one
of the issues during the campaigns pre-licence change). We really need
an API or similar interface so that messages can be pulled by the an
editor (not necessary in the case of P2)

- what do we tell a new mapper to do that lives, say, in the middle of
Berlin? 3d, indoor, turn-restrictions?

- I would really really suggest not trying to dumb things down. We want
to produce and retain mappers in Pascal Neis "Senior Mappers" class, the
core group that contributes most data to OSM. Dumbing down will just
lead frustration down the road (good example correctly adjusting aerial
imagery on which learnosm is completely silent).

Simon