[Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on Revision for 2013 AGM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Apr 18 22:55:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 19.04.2013 00:35, Steve Coast wrote:
> Personally, for privacy reasons I disagree. My belief is that opt outs
> should exist in some way, for at least some data. For example, employees
> at major map companies may wish to keep their membership private from
> their employer.

That is a valid argument - some people might also want to keep their
membership private from the dictatorship they live in.

However I think that we have to weigh and balance goals here. What is
more important: Everyone's ability to convince themselves that nothing
fishy is going on (with the potential downside of some people not being
able to join for privacy reasons) - or everyone's right to join (with
the downside of much reduced transparency)?

I think that "if you want to remain anoymous, you can be a mapper but
not a member" is an acceptable price to pay for transparency.

Bye
Frederik