[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) jaak at nutiteq.com
Tue Aug 27 08:23:53 UTC 2013

Just for context, one random "website valuation" calculator cubestat [1] estimates yearly advertising revenue potential of openstreetmap.org to over $100.000. Of course no one wants to pollute osm frontpage with google ads, but it looks like monetizing a fraction of it with polite sponsor's logo sector would cover minimal running costs easily.

Specifically, I'd put 3-5 top sponsor logos to a non-prominent place in the frontpage, and add "other sponsors" link to all the rest of them, so natural bidding would end up with fair price. Maybe even upper limit should be set to avoid becoming a cash machine.

[1] http://openstreetmap.org.cubestat.com/

Jaak