[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Tue Aug 27 09:09:34 UTC 2013

> One of the most commendable stances of the Wikimedia Foundation is that it chooses to
> ignore its huge advertising potential in favour of independence, lack of user tracking, etc.
>
> If they can shoulder such a big operation with donations only, I can't see why the
> OSMF couldn't.

To affirm this: Wikimedia Germany alone has collected in the 2012 donation drive 5.2 million
EUR with an average donation size of 22.50 EUR. Thus their success is based on its good
reputation in its wider community.

Given that in old times more people had an atlas than an encyclopedia, it is quite possible
to collect the far fewer amount of 250'000 EUR a year that way for OSM.

We lose this best-reputation-funding once we start advertising. So I strongly oppose that idea.

Best regards,

Roland