[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 27 09:38:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 08/27/13 10:23, Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) wrote:
> Just for context, one random "website valuation" calculator cubestat [1]
> estimates yearly advertising revenue potential of openstreetmap.org
> <http://openstreetmap.org> to over $100.000.

The problem is that this would put us directly in a conflict of interest
situation.

We do not want to make openstreetmap.org into an all-singing,
all-dancing "be sure to use this web site for all your mapping needs"
portal with "check back here twice a day for latest news".

If however OSMF funding were directly linked to traffic on the OSM web
site, we'd certainly be tempted to start adding all sorts of fancy "map
portal" stuff to openstreetmap.org just to attract more visitors.

That would be a dangerous route to go down.

I think the modest (text-only!) thank-you note for our sponsors that we
have right now is appropriate. Anything more would be problematic.

Bye
Frederik