[Osmf-talk] Notes & Bing Imagery

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 3 08:16:38 UTC 2013

I am not against your proposal, but I would like to mention that Bing
imagery is often outdated, for years. At least in Eastern Europe.
Sometimes there is a large edifice on the ground and a green field in Bing.

Speaking of imagery, - the drone eBee
https://www.sensefly.com/drones/ebee.html is capable of producing 10
square kilometers of orthorectified (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthophoto ) imagery during a single 45 min
flight. This aerial imagery is suitable for mapping, and even of better
quality than  satellite imagery.

The area of, say, London is about 1000 sqkm, so we need just 100 flights
to cover it. It is imaginable to make five flights during a weekend. So
just one such aircraft can produce the orthrectified imagery of a large
city just in several months. Besides such imagery could be constantly
updated.

The drone is small, light and quiet, it is barely visible after takeoff,
and that is important for flying in a city. Still it is an automated
robust aircraft.

The company SenseFly is part of the Parrot group. I own Parrot Ar.Drone
2.0. It was a good aircraft for its time, it can produce aerial imagery,
but unfortunately it is not orthorectified, i.e. it cannot be used as a
layer in JOSM.

I plan to buy eBee drone, and I wrote to SenseFly already, asking them
for price. I can imagine the system is expensive, and they may deal
mostly with companies and organizations. However, if buying a fleet as
an organized group, as an organization, the price could be negotiated.
Having a fleet and an organized group we can start to work on an
experimental project of creating the new OSM Fleet Aerial Imagery Layer
2014.

It takes time to become a good drone pilot, as it requires 3D
orientation, what is not normally present in human life. So it would be
a process in any case, not an immediate solution. Still up-to-date
aerial orthorectified imagery seems to be becoming doable, but it will
require a coordination and an organization. If the idea takes off, I am in.

brgds
O.M. (Alex-7)