[Osmf-talk] Paid Mapping / WikiPR like issues in OSM?

Peter Barth osm at won2.de
Tue Dec 3 23:38:09 UTC 2013

Hi,

I think I'm still missing one argument in this discussion as to why OSM
might get similar problems as Wikipedia with paid members/a company.

What seems to be left out (or I missed it) are tagging schemes and
possible influence on them. Firstly socket puppets could manipulate
the voting process of tagging proposals quite easily (the number of
voter is usually not quite high). Secondly there are cases where tagging
schemes emerge by high usage of some key-values. Socket puppets might
start out using a new scheme at one place or another and gradually
enlarge its usage until it's established.

Both ways would lead to new tagging practices that are no community
consensus but instead fit the need of a company. I can't say if this is
a realistic scenario, however, as I said before, I missed the argument
regarding tagging schemes.

Peda