[Osmf-talk] Notes & Bing Imagery

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Dec 4 10:00:06 UTC 2013

Am 03.12.2013 20:54, schrieb Jonathan:

> Also, drones or remote control planes etc are not currently regulated,
> to my knowledge, but they soon will be and it will make things much
> harder.

Regulations are so different that it is impossible to make a blanket
statement. At least in some European countries keeping the drone in
sight is required so that you, in an emergency can avoid a collision or
abort (implies that you need manual control as a fall back). What is
working for us, is that it is completely possible to build a working
system that weighs less than 1kg (the swinglet is < 0.5kg), and fly at
~100m, reducing potential damage and conflicts to a minimum. Further,
particularly if you are looking at DIY solutions, the airframe itself is
essentially disposable (aka the cheapest part of the drone) so crashes
don't hurt so much.

>From a data privacy pov the situation seems to be less dramatic than it
could be. Germany as the country that was one of largest regulators wrt
StreetView seems to have no issues with imagery with up to 10cm/pixel
"resolution".

Simon