[Osmf-talk] Losing faith

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Jan 15 17:27:06 UTC 2013

On 15 January 2013 15:50, Patipat Susumpow <kengggg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys, don't you think the founder who found the thing that bought us here
> together should be able to speak out for the community throught
> @openstreetmap?

No.

I don't mean to diminish Steve's enormous contribution, but we are now a
community of tens of thousands of people* with thousands who have
contributed masses more data than Steve and perhaps a hundred who have
equally contributed enormous quantities of code, admin time and the like.
Steve's petulant claim that he has contributed 'Every. Damn. Thing' and
that we can't therefore 'take something from him' with good reason is just
absurd and insulting. Let's give access to Richard Fairhurst, Andy Allan,
Tom Hughes, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, Frederik Ramm.... I'll stop there.

I am a democrat at heart, I don't like demagogues. If Steve wants to spend
his free time tweeting from @openstreetmap he can get involved with the CWG.

CWG seem to be doing good work to build up the twitter account, they have
some proactive plans up their sleeve, and they have some other good ideas
for gathering possible tweets in this email thread that they can mull over.
I see no reason why this needs to go any further.

Regards,
Tom

* most of the 'one million users' are inactive or one-time editors