[Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on Revision for 2013 AGM

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Tue Mar 12 12:47:24 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Poole" <simon at poole.ch>
To: <osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 12:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on
Revision for 2013 AGM

> Am 08.03.2013 00:00, schrieb Clifford Snow:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Dudley Ibbett
>> <dudleyibbett at hotmail.com <mailto:dudleyibbett at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Having had a quick look for AoA on the web I wouldn't say it is
>>     very common.  I have yet to find an example.  The proposal begs
>>     the question as to why would anyone want to be a member under the
>>     Act (i.e. having your address on the register) .  What would be
>>     the point?
>>

>> I'm not a attorney nor do I have any familiarity with UK laws. However
>> searching for relevant documents, it appears to me that if you want to
>> be a member of OSMF, we need to provide OSMF with our name and
>> address. Looking at Amnesty International United Kingdom AoA [1]  I
>> see the same requirement. If any organization would want to keep
>> membership anonymous, they would be it.
>
> "informal membership" or "supporting member" turns up a number of hits.
>
> For example
> http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/About%20Us/Governance/Legal_information/DiabetesUK-Articles-of-Association_2011.pdf

Simon

the example given by you for Diabetes UK, and the example later given by
Richard Fairhurst about the Canal and River Trust are interesting, but I'm
not sure they are relevant to the proposed changes of the AoA of OSMF. These
examples quite clearly state that the additional class of members are not
members of the company for the purposes of the Companies Act.

However the proposal for the changes to OSMF AoA are that the new membership
class will have the same rights as current members, so the new class would
be members for the purposes of the Companies Act.  It is therefore still
unclear to me how the new class can have all the rights of members as
defined by the Companies Act, without this class of member being a "member"
as defined by the Companies Act, and therefore being required to be entered
into the Register of Members ( which requires address details) [1]

Until the proposed changes to classes of membership in item 1 of the
proposed changes is clarified, it'd difficult to comment on the other items
numbered  2 -3.

David

[1] http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/113