[Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on Revision for 2013 AGM - Corporate Membership

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri May 3 06:44:18 UTC 2013

Speaking of hardware; - here is a link to the impressive talk of Sam
Hennessey about hardware scaling "Faster And Cheaper. Scale Vertically
with IBM i":

http://devzone.zend.com/1614/the-zendcon-sessions-episode-29-php_faster-and-cheaper-scale-vertically-with-ibm-i/

Indeed, I remember well that in 2004 we still had 9 GB drive in the
office server. Nowadays, I own a private 1 TB (1000 GB) back up drive,
which I bought couple of years ago in the sales.

At the same time, the surface of Earth will not grow, and there are no
other habitable planets to map in the foreseeable future.

What I would wish to be updated more regularly though is the satellite
imagery. For places like, for instance, Geneva, Switzerland, there is in
addition to the Bing satellite imagery also the aerial 5 cm imagery in JOSM.

But for, say, Lviv or Izmail, Ukraine, the Bing satellite imagery from
2010 is all that is available.

For example, here, in Lviv, there is a large shopping centre on the
ground (house number 38): http://osm.org/go/0hZTi~N3k-- , but if one
opens the place in JOSM, it is not even a construction ground yet.

I spoke with an astronomer about a theoretic idea of an international
robotised high-speed HD  telescope on the surface of the moon to produce
the constantly updated imagery of the Earth surface. It seems to be
expensive, but absolutely doable. There are already telescopes which
make photos of planets around other stars.

It would be nice if there were better surface imagery with time.

brgds
Oleksiy