[Osmf-talk] [Talk-GB] Primary or Trunk? PITA?

Jonathan bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 20:51:03 UTC 2013

I've just googled PITA and it would appear that it stands for Pain In
The Ass.  The below quoted email I received to my personal email is not
a snippet but the full and entire transcript I received this evening.

I can't stress strongly enough how insulted, and a little scared, I feel
for this personal attack.

Is Chris Hill (user: chilly) trying to intimidate or bully me outside of
the list?  Is he threatened by my questioning the Status Quo?  Was he
upset that I didn't shut up after he proffered the first answer  to my
question?

I thought these lists were aliases for "discussion"?  It would appear
that if you ask a question that was raised 3 years before then that
instantly make you a "PITA"?

I realise there are mappers like Chris who have many years/edits of
seniority over us newer mappers but that gives them no right to abuse
anybody, if anything it confers a responsibility to help newer mappers.
That help shouldn't come in the form of "I say it is so accept it", if
they can't justify their opinion with a reasoned argument then don't
give the opinion!

Abusing the  questioner is unacceptable. Either within the list or without.

I was on the fringes of the organising committee for SOTM2013 and the
subject of an anti-bullying policy was raised, suggesting it should be
documented and published.  I was against it because I felt it was just
common human courtesy to treat everyone with respect and kindness.
Maybe I was wrong, maybe it should be documented so that people like
Chris Hill (chilly) can be officially sanctioned, given warnings over
their conduct, and in the extreme, have their account blocked.

I'd like to state that I shall withdraw all involvement in the the
Trunk/Primary debate and will think twice about any future questions to
these lists.

If anybody wants to see OSM flourish and bring in new participants from
other walks of life and grow to be a well respected global organisation
then think again, some may need to leave before others feel they may
want to join.

Jonathan

http://bigfatfrog67.me