[Osmf-talk] hosting in the UK and "anti-terror legislation"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 14:41:03 UTC 2013

2013/9/9 Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch>

> Just trying to catch this before it explodes. Every new sign up gets a
> link to our privacy policy before they actually start the process, the
> document itself is, for OSM, quite clear on what to expect and what not.
> What is an issue is that there are no translations at this point in time.
>
> Simon
>
> PS: see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Privacy_Policy

IMHO this page shouldn't be part of the wiki editable by every user but be
part of the few restricted pages that only admins can modify. The history
should remain visible though.

There should also be more clarity in the paragraph "Email", which currently
reads: "The registered email address for an OSM user account, will never
intentionally be published on the internet anywhere, shared with third
party organisations, or revealed directly to other logged in users. Email
addresses will be used by the server to notify the user if another user has
sent a message through the website. Only System
Administrators<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/System_Administrators>will
have direct access to email address data. It may be used by these
people to contact users directly about their edits or other OpenStreetMap
related issues."

I'd appreciate a hint there (although it won't be legally required) that
operating from the UK exposes the users to the risk that government
officials might force osm admins silently to disclose this information
under the UK "Terrorism Act 2000", „Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act“
or other laws, and/or that servers might get confiscated under these laws
without the possibility of legal defense, and that most probably in these
cases they would also be required not to publish information about this.
(btw.: this might already have happened).

cheers,
Martin