[Osmf-talk] hosting in the UK and "anti-terror legislation"

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 9 15:25:31 UTC 2013

Martin,

I suggest to move the DB servers to the Republic and Canton of Geneva.

It could be administrated from remote locations, say, from the UK or US.
I would volunteer to look after servers physically.

OSM could position itself also as an UN's map and as humanitarian map,
and it is used already in some UN's and humanitarian projects (some
important UN agencies are based in Geneva).

Besides Switzerland is a politically neutral country. It is stated in
the constitution. There are serious laws protecting and enforcing
privacy in Switzerland.

Perhaps, more people worldwide would use and edit the map is such a case.

English is widely spoken in Switzerland, and there are a lot of people
from UK living and working in CH.

Anyway I do not insist, it is just an idea. It is easier said than done,
besides the OSM is doing great as it is now. Let alone the existing
already hosting ecosystem in London. And I am not sure that "anti-terror
legislation" is an issue for the OSM at all.

But if there is a practical thing to do in this direction, - let me
know. I have a car in Geneva in case servers are to be transported to a
location.

I would like to remind that there will be the "Open Knowledge
Conference" in Geneva on 16th-18th September, 2013. The conference
website uses the embedded OSM map in an interesting way, with an "edit"
link:

http://okcon.org/travel-and-accommodation/

I will work as a volunteer at this conference.

brgds
Oleksiy
(Alex-7)