[Osmf-talk] hosting in the UK and "anti-terror legislation"

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Sep 9 15:49:37 UTC 2013

On 9 September 2013 16:25, Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch>wrote:

> Anyway I do not insist, it is just an idea. It is easier said than done,
> besides the OSM is doing great as it is now. Let alone the existing already
> hosting ecosystem in London. And I am not sure that "anti-terror
> legislation" is an issue for the OSM at all.

Indeed, moving servers would not be trivial. We have a number of machines,
hosted (I believe at no cost) by two universities in London:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers

Over the years our system administrators have needed physical access, as
well as remote, for example to upgrade the hardware.

I would suggest someone ask the Operations Working Group to consider this
question, and report back on whether they believe it is practical and
desirable to move core services to a place such as Geneva.

http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Operations_Working_Group

Regards,
Tom Chance