[Osmf-talk] Phasing out Google services (was: Important information regarding your OSMF membership - Action may be required)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 17:35:09 UTC 2013

On 19 September 2013 08:18, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> * Google hangout - group voice or video chat that "just works" across a
> range of platforms including Linux

We (at OWG) ran into this recently when we started having video calls
instead of face-to-face meetings - I now have a Google Plus account
purely for OWG meetings[1] since I didn't want G+ to be enabled on my
main gmail account[2]. Hangouts were the only thing we could see
working, without incurring costs.

We figured that WebRTC is a promising technology, but in testing we
couldn't get bi-directional communications going. We were
experimenting with

https://github.com/muaz-khan/WebRTC-Experiment

and the associated site

https://www.webrtc-experiment.com/

so if anyone is following them, or has got the video+audio+screenshare
examples working, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Andy

[1] The irony of using a gmail account for all my mailing list posts
is not lost on me
[2] I'm sure having two accounts is some kind of ToS violation, if
Google happen to be listening