[Osmf-talk] Phasing out Google services

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 02:19:05 UTC 2013

On 9/19/2013 11:35 AM, Andy Allan wrote:
> On 19 September 2013 08:18, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
>> * Google hangout - group voice or video chat that "just works" across a
>> range of platforms including Linux
>
> We (at OWG) ran into this recently when we started having video calls
> instead of face-to-face meetings - I now have a Google Plus account
> purely for OWG meetings[1] since I didn't want G+ to be enabled on my
> main gmail account[2]. Hangouts were the only thing we could see
> working, without incurring costs.

Does anyone have experience with Jitsi videobridge[1]. It sounds like
that would provide the features of google hangout. It is a server
extension for xmpp servers and if I understand it correctly it should
work with any video capable xmpp client.

One can either install it into ones own xmpp server, or use the service
provided by jit.si

Furthermore, it looks like one can build a xmpp video client purely with
javascript and WebRTC[2]

I haven't used either though so far, to see how well they work in practice.

Kai

[1] https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiVideobridge
[2] https://go.estos.de/en/chat/