[Osmf-talk] Upcoming Special General Meeting Opinions?

Gregory sotm at livingwithdragons.com
Mon Dec 1 11:17:46 UTC 2014

On 1 December 2014 at 10:30, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Special Resolution 2 - the get out clause - I'm unsure on this one. It
> seems nice to let people come back to the board after a break, but I'm
> not sure that it's necessary. As Frederik points out there's plenty of
> things in the OSMF and OSM to keep even the most enthusiastic people
> busy without having to be on the board, and I'd be disappointed to
> find future board made up of mostly second-time-arounders. Given we
> already have several hundred members, we're not going to struggle to
> find 2-3 good ones to stand each year.

I don't see SR2 as put in for "nice to let people come back".
In 20+ years, what if the OSMF & it's WGs/board were to get in a messy
state and not be functioning well. It might put a lot of people off running
as candidates because of the pressure to turn things around. Members might
be calling "If only we could bring back Mr(s) X, they were good with the
OSMF and they won't have to spend time getting to know their duties". Or if
there is a certain area that the OSMF membership wants to leadership to
take it in that direction.

However this comes from me being very negative-aware and worry about the
worse case situations. I think to much about what if OSMF ends up being
<200 members, in a poor state and the data/server needs to be protected
from lack of funds/interest. I doubt this will happen.

I am very upset that this GM has been called at this time. It has paused
the OSMF Board from doing much else, and the SotM local WG can't even exist
yet - something that already needs to start earlier in the calendar.

As an OSMF membership we should be looking to increase membership numbers
so elections have a stronger say. Before each board election, when
nominations are open still, we should be making transparency an election
issue.

Map blessings from Durham,
Gregory.