[Osmf-talk] CWG ...... was Re: [OSM-talk] Balance of power (was: Re: How to vote to match your view)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Dec 6 17:31:08 UTC 2014

Am 06.12.2014 16:53, schrieb Richard Weait:
> I think that the single most effective marketing message since
> Switch2OSM.org was Serge's article, Why the World Needs
> OpenStreetMap[1]
>
> [1] http://blog.emacsen.net/blog/2014/01/04/why-the-world-needs-openstreetmap/

Yes, Serges blog post had an astounding (and measurable) impact. And
further it does show that, even online, getting covered by "classical"
media makes a big difference.

One of my larger frustrations is that the CWG never recovered from the
incident we were discussing. Harry does a tremendous job but we don't
seem to have had any success in getting more people to help on an on
going base (I've lost count of how many times I've said that here and in
other places).

IM(very)HO we are missing out on the opportunity to take local stories
of which we have plenty and to push the suitable ones out to a more
international audience.

If you look at the coverage we have at a global level it really boils
down to business news (with very few exceptions US centric) and HOT.
Given that the days are past when XY switching to OSM was big news (and
technical improvements tend to be very "yawn") I believe that we need to
push more stories out that are closer to home and less exotic. If you so
want, more "human interest".

Actually turning something that shows up in the OSM weekly news or in
one of the  community blogs in to a story that works and has appeal
shouldn't be underestimated. This brings me full circle back to the
point of more people helping with the CWG, I just can't believe that we
don't have more contributors engaging in one of what could be more fun
working groups.

Simon